Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im in the market for a commander !! i understand that colt is the best for the job !! but what model ? MKIV 80 ?or the new breed of 1911 commanders from colt the xse series ? what pistol would you guys pick ???

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello,

I would get the Colt Model #04691 Commander. I really like the Factory Colt Thumb Safety, Down Swept Beavertail & Sights. It's just a nice clean looking pistol.

I'm one of the one's that believes, Less is More!

Take Care,
THE SOCKMAN

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't believe you can go wrong with one of the new Colt models. Pick one up, and see what feels best in your hands. For myself, my next Commander sized 1911 will be an Ed Brown Kobra Carry.

Anthony

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
... neither with an good'ol MkIV 70... Next option is Lightweight or Combat (all steel)?

I vote for the LW Commander which puts the concept of the compact/light powerhouse to its optimum.

Best

L.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
You might want to have a look at Para-ordnance's new LTC model. It is a single stack, single action Commander with a 4-1/4" barrel. The only thing it needs in my opinion is an ambi safety.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just purchased a Smith 1911Sc after going through the agonizing search process I imagine you are experiencing. Up to 700 rounds with no malfunctions of any kind (hard ball, hollowpoints and my 200 gr SWC reloads), runs with Colt, Wilson and a really old military magazine I have had for over 40 years. It is the most accurate out-of-the-box pistol in my experience. It is a 26 oz pistol and the recoil was a pleasent surprise and is very manageable
Downside: rotten trigger but it has improved (and an easy fix) and no ambi safety (I'm a lefty!).
Best of luck in your selection.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My next project will be a Norinco in commander size, "if" I can win in my debate with my wife.

'I rather have it but don't need it, than not have it when I need it'

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had both kinds of Commanders - steel and aluminum. Here's how I'd vote: if it's a carry weapon only and isn't going to be shot all the time, I'd go with an aluminum frame. If you are going to shoot it more and want to accurize it, I'd go with the steel frame - it's a bit easier to fit the slide to the frame with a steel frame, etc. My two cents, but remember - advice is worth what you pay for it! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello,

I would get the Colt Model #04691 Commander. I really like the Factory Colt Thumb Safety, Down Swept Beavertail & Sights. It's just a nice clean looking pistol.
Where or where can you find one? I really want 2. The price has gone up and can't find one. I am on the waiting list for Davidson's.

Lester

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i found an XES, commander steel frame colt NIB, from my dealer had just got it in ,!! strange it has the novak still sights on it my dealer said i got lucky with the sights ?i want the old 70 series commander i might let you guys have this one !! if any of you guys are interested in it give me a ring at . you can have it at my cost .!! [email protected]
jonboy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really don't see any advantage of an all steel Commander over a Goverment model. If you are talking lightweight Commander I am looking at either a Para single stack or a S&W SC. Let me know what you buy and how you like it. regards, Richard:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, a Commander is good if its a LW...........carry much, shoot little.........unless they're reloads, they'll take those all day long

. Go with the full 5", the steel Commander is close in weight to the full size, and has a shorter sight radius...........so you're not gaining much.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I recently sold a Colt Lightweight Commander because I decided I liked the Government Model better and because I felt the ligthweight was too light weight: I wasn't as accurate on follow up shots with it.

If I were to get another it would be steel.

The Colt was 100 percent reliable out of the box. So are two GMs I've purchased. You might check out the 1911 forums for complaints by maker. Unlike other makers, few Colt complaints concern function. Colt, incidentally, has a proprietary, dimpled, barrell design that does seem to be a better mousetrap when it comes to feeding hollowpoints. People do complain about cosmetics, though. So you might think about that before buying one via Internet. Nice to be able to inspect it first. Colts have substiantially fewer MIM parts, if you care about that. The warranty is forever too.

I think the S&Ws are neat. But the front strap checkering is too sharp for me.

Some folks say that reliability is pretty harder to obtain with lengths shorter than 4.25 inches. If true, that'd limit you to Colt, S&W, Para and I'm not sure who else among mass makers.

My whole view of 1911s is this: The original Browning design, expressed as a 5-inch, 7-shot, slightly loose fitting pistol, was reliable. Any change from those basic design parameters has the potential -- potential -- to affect reliabilty. Can Commanders be reliable? Sure. But I bet, in general, out of the box, a greater percentage of basic, mil-spec guns is reliable than of their shorter brethren or fancier, more target-oriented cousins too.

You asked for opinions, those are mine, and I certainly don't claim to be an expert.

Max

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ooops. Sorry for my above long windedness. I lost sight of your question entirely. I'd pick the new models because of the dimpled barrell.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hello,

A few years ago, wasn't O4691 matte finished, rubber grips, and 6+1 capacity?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nevermind, I think I found the model I was thinking of. The 1991A1 Compact. I think, anyway. It's 6+1 but has a 3" bbl. It must not have been very popular, I couldn't find much on that model.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts