Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this. Not a big fan of revolvers but it just caught my eye. Feels really good in the hand but I don't think I would want to go to war with this. DA/SA trigger, loaded from the closed cylinder one round at a time and uses a push rod to eject empties, also one at a time. Saw an original next to this one with bakelite grips, cost $130 more. Wooden grips are arsenal replacements and have the initials of the original user on them.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi operationiceberg,

What a nice find!

I have only seen one like it close up and personal in a museaum in Thun, Switzerland. Does it have the manufacturers marks, i.e. location of manufacture?

I'd certainly enjoy owning one, but they are very uncommon in the U.S.

The condition of yours certainly appears to be "pristine".

Chris

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What am I looking for Chris? There is a capitol P on the front of the trigger guard, don't know if that's it. Other than that it's all Swiss crosses, whole and partial serial #'s and a lone #8 on the hammer. The serial # on the cylinder and barrel are struck differently than the one on the frame, I think I might have a serious arsenal refurb, not that it matters. It still has that awesome Swiss engineering. Now all I have to do is find the shoulder stock for it!

Lower right hand corner, shoulder stocked 1882 Swiss Army Revolver

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi operationiceberg,

A roll marking "Waffenfabrik ________" will determine the manufacturing source in Switzerland
and if there is none present I know little else about them except as you say, "It still has some of that awesome Swiss engineering".

A good source of information is the forum at

www.swissrifle.com/forum.

Also at:

www.swissrifle.com is a section on Swiss Military Handguns.

Very nice revolver operationiceberg..... I'd go for the Luger next and really start a collection!

Chris

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris,

I went to swissrifles.com and read around a little. According to them my revolver is a miltary model so the parts were made where ever (couldn't figure out exactly where the individual parts were made) and than assembled in Bern.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Greetings, Operationiceberg,

I wouldn't care where it was made. That is a fine looking revolver. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
The capital P on swiss ordnance weapons indicates that the weapon has been given to the soldier/officer at the end of his military periode. P for P(rivate ownership). The 7,65 Parabellum my grandfather received for his service from 1925 to 1965 has that mark. It is usually put around the trigger guard.

L.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts