Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

As per my recent post, I found a LNIB Rossi snubby revolver, no lock, pre- +P issue.

I bought some S&W 158gr LSWCHP +P for self-defense. Standard pressure is used for practice.

A member of H&A lists the defensive ammo I got as 1060fps! I'm assuming this is from a 4" barrel, if not a rifle barrel. If the "50fps/inch of barrel" holds true, which it doesn't always, I'd still be getting 960fps out of a snubby!

My question to you is, what can I expect with this gun/ammo combination? I know it will accelerate wear, but I do not plan on shooting it more than 5 rounds every 6 months, and that only to get rid of my old carry rounds and load up fresh. All practice shooting will be done with standard pressure.

I am quite used to shooting .357 mag, and a friend's .38spl 3" with hot loads, so I'm used to the recoil; no need to practice that. I'm a recoil junky

My question to the board is this: What can I expect upon firing this stuff? As I said earlier, I know accelerated wear is a given, but I'm asking more about catastrophic failures. Would you expect the forcing cone to give in five shots? One hundred shots? I'm aware of the .38/44 being loaded into old J-Frames before the advent of the .357mag.

I guess I'm looking for someone to say that I will or will not experience a severely stretched frame, cracked forcing cone, or blown up gun with the very limited shooting I described above. :)

Any takers on guessing what 10 rounds per year of severly hot ammo would do to a J-Frame Rossi?

Thanks,

Josh <><

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi Josh,

I am not sure anybody will give you any hard and fast guarantees, but I would not shoot 158 grain slugs at 960 fps out of either my S&W model 36 or my Detective Special. At 10 rounds per year I doubt that you will experience catastrophic failure, but the gun will probably last much longer, and be more likely to work when you need it, if you take it easy. Even the Remington 158 grain +P LSWCHP does only 800 fps or so from these guns. Just my $0.02.

PGM

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,

I was wrong about the velocity. It was out of a non-vented, 10" test barrel from what I've found. Real velocity hovers around 800-850fps from a snub.

Thanks again,

Josh <><

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr. Josh,

I wish my buddy who retired from H.P. White labs was still around, I would call him and ask. That would be a much better answer than I can give you. But unfortunately Mr. Jim left us a few years ago for the shooting range in the sky.

Since the original specs appear to be from a 10" test barrel and not from a 4" or a snub barrel, my answer is based on what you now believe the actual velocities to be. First I have no personal experience with a Rossi, as I have never owned one. If you feel that it is comparable in construction and strength to a pre +P Smith j-frame, then my comments would apply.

Given the limited usage you anticipate of +P loads, I simply do not think it would cause you any serious problems. Remembering that Mr. Jim had chosen the Federal 129 JHP +P for us to use in our J-frames (some of which had been made before I was over 5 decades ago), I want to say if you see the revolver as being comparable to a Smith, then I think you will be fine.

We were using the Federal 129 +P as both our qual and carry loads, so it was the only load fired in our J-frames. I never had a problem with any of the J-frames even thought most of them were pre +P models. I am serious a couple of these were sporting 3 and 4 digit serial numbers without a letter in them.

I can only base my comments on how the Federal +P round worked so well in ours. I do think if you were giving your Rossi a steady diet of the +P loads it could tend to shoot it lose more quickly than normal. But that is not what you are asking about either. No guarantees sir sorry, but personally I think you will be fine with 10 rounds a year - and probably even more if you felt the need. I am betting your Rossi will outlast me at least if not both of us.

If you have a friend who has a chronograph, maybe the best starting point is to see how they actually read out of your pistol too. That would give you the true figures to base your decision on as well.

Good luck sir.

twoguns

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Mr. Twoguns,

From what I've gathered the S&W is no hotter than a comparable load by Federal, Winchester, or anybody else.

The Rossi is certainly comparable to a J-frame (oh, blasphemous me!
) in build quality, and the only issue I would have is not knowing the metallurgy.

I do thank you for your answer, it helps a lot!

Josh <><

·
Registered
321 Posts
Sounds like you should be fine with limited shooting at 800-850 fps, Josh. Let us know how it shoots! You have a nice looking gun there.

PGM

·
Registered
399 Posts
I myself don't like to shoot the +P loads in the lighter .38s only. I know a lot of them are rated for it but it is my choice. Now if you are going to get a S&W M-60 or a Ruger SP 101 then its no problem as these revolvers are tough and can handle them. I have never had a Rossi but I would think it's probly built along the lines of a M-36 or 7 Smith. It would still take several thousand of +P ammo probly to shake one loose. Good luck in your choice.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Hi Josh,

seems you do really well with Brazilian mfr. guns like your Taurus. I expect the Rossi will be real good too. The other day I noticed that Charter Arms is making a left-handed/southpaw snubbie and I remembered that you shoot left handed, yes? Perhaps you like the set up as is.

best,
--d.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Only my opinion but I'd want to know if that Rossi would hold up to +P. If it was mine I'd expect it to tolerate a bit of familiarization shooting with +P. I'd carry 158 grain +P in it. It would likely suffer from accelerated wear if fed a steady diet of +P but won't come unhinged.

G

·
I had an older Rossi revolver, a stainless .357 mag. It was a lot more rugged anda better shooter than the seller gave it credit for. I never had any problems with the gun, and taught my wife to shoot with it.

The Rossi small frame revolvers I have seen were made with internal parts VERY SIMILAR to the S&W J frames.
I think that such limited use of +P ammo as you describe would not do much if any damage to the gun.

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts