Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,053 Posts
Just to prove that nothing is 100% predictable, I shot a medium sized 8 pt buck with the 2 3/4 inch Remington copper solid (hollow point) slug at a range of 90 yards.

The deer immediately ran off, seemingly undisturbed, with his tail in the air. It was near dusk and I went to the spot (a nice new cloverfield so the vegitation was not a problem) but could find no sight of a hit. No hair no blood.

I kept looking in arcs for blood but when I reached the road and could find no spots, and it was growing too dark, I put the hunt off until morning.

Next morning I looked again to no avail. Then I started just still hunting in the area and made a huge circle. On the way back I found the critter but the coyotes had gotten to him over night.

There was enough left to see that I put the slug right in the heart, it left a long 2" high X 5" long tear going in! (he was standing at the oblique) and it exited just in front of the off side leg. Darn near perfect placement but unfotunately it missed bone (except for 2 ribs which it took a big chunk out of). He ran a total of about 75 yards but that was enough go get lost!

Jim H.

· Registered
1,053 Posts
I should have pointed out, I have no criticism of the slug...the story just illustrates that strange things happen.

A good friend shot a medium sized doe the day before at an angle and the entrance hole was a big diagonal gash, the exit was even more impressive and the critter dropped on the spot.

Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.