Forum Home    ::    Active Topics    ::    Hi-Powers and Handguns    ::    Stephen Camp's Blog    ::    Contact Us
Go Back   Handguns and Ammunition Forums > Handguns > The Venerable 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
cxm

Turkish 1911A1 From CDNN

I have been watching these guns for some weeks now. CDNN has them for $349 which is a nice price for a quality 1911. The guns are made by Trabazon Gun Industries or TGI-AS (As being the Turkish designation for a corporation) as you might guess located in Trabazon on the Black sea (particuarly known for mild climate and the excellent teas grown there.) I had read a bit about this company, which is now equipped with very modern computer controlled milling machines. This has allowed them to make copies of quite a few guns, including Beretta, CZ and Colt's.

Anyway, I decided at the price it was worth giving the gun a try... so I ordered one which was delivered today.

I was quite favorably impressed with the gun when it arrived. The gun is packed in a black plastic box that is not the huge absurd sizes so many guns come in these days.

This image is reduced by 25%, click it to view full size.

The first thing I did when I got it was to clear it and try the trigger... I was delighted to find the trigger is a lot better than I expected. The pull is smooth, not gritty and released crisply and cleanly at around 5-6lb of pull... quite good for any out of the box 1911 and especially so for an opening price point gun....

In examining the gun it became clear this gun is a real no "BS" 1911A1 from the GI sights to the arched mainspring housing. The parts are real steel the only plastic being the GI style black plastic grips that come with the gun... The finish is some sort of baked on synthetic material which hopefully will wear well. The grips are black plastic of a design similar to US GI grips.

The gun is marked 1911A1 and it certainly is...

The hammer is straight GI A1 from the 1940s...

The thumb safety is however 1970s or so Colt's style.

After examining the gun externally, I field stripped the gun... parts all seemed well made and fit very well indeed... snugly but not too tight.

This image is reduced by 9%, click it to view full size.

Curiously, the parts diagram that came in the owners manual showed a series 70 bushing... but the gun is fitted with a GI type bushing. I suspect they simply copied a parts diagram from a Colt's manual.

The barrel is well made and seems to be made of stainless steel... Have to see how it shoots of course, but the barrel looks like it is well made.

Unfortunately the feed ramp is not as smooth as I like so it can easily be fixed if necessary... A little work with a dremel with a felt wheel and some jeweler's rouge will fix hat right up...

The magazine looks quite good... but whilst I have seen the makers logo on the magazine before, I can't place it.... but I have seen it before.

All in all I am so far delighted with the gun... it has a very good trigger indeed, the gun seem very well made and will hopefully be reliable as well.

I'll need to take it to the range in the next few days to see how well it shoots... but if it shoots as well as it looks it will be an excellent value.

More to come

V/r

Chuck

Fear God and Dreadnought!!

You can't miss fast enough to win a gun fight!
cxm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:50 PM   #2

Hell of a good price. I can't wait for a range report. BTW, are they available in other calibers, 9mm? Link to their website? Thanks, George M.

Last edited by georgem; 08-23-2011 at 05:19 PM.
georgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #3

The Turks have been an arms maker for generations. A lot of the more affordable semiauto shotguns are made there.
strider72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #4

Hello Chuck,

Excellent pictures and report!!! I can't wait to hear your range report. I like the "no frills" look of this one! I bet that it will shoot as good as it looks!

Best,

Chris
Chris Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
cxm

Here is the TGI AS web site:

http://www.trabzonsilah.com/eng/index.php

I believe they make the gun in 9x19 and .40 S&W as well, though they may not be imported into the US.

V/r

CHuck

Old 08-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #6

I've had one of these for several months. I haven't shot it a great deal, only a few hundred rounds. So far I haven't experienced any problems with it and it's more accurate than I would have thought given the price point. The magazine is manufactured by ACT, in Italy. It seems to be similar to the standard GI Mec-Gar magazine. It may in fact be made by Mec-Gar, but I've read reports of heat treatment issues with the ACT product so I tend to doubt that knowing Mec-Gars usual quality. The frame is investment cast while the slide is machined fom bar stock. The internals are cast as one should expect with a pistol in this price point. The internals seem well done with the only obvious casting mark being evident on the hammer. I've completely disassembled mine and haven't found anything of concern.

I replaced the grips with a pair of checkered walnut Hogues, as well as replacing the mainspring housing with one mounting a laynard loop as I wanted a GI appearance with this one. The grip safety on mine was also a bit roughly finished so I replaced it with a Colt part I had on hand. The finish on mine is not a synthetic or epoxy type finish but rather a standard black oxide. I was looking for a plain vanilla GI 1911 but didn't want to drop a lot on it and the Regent seems to fill the bill. This one fares favorably when compared to other entry level 1911s, better in some areas in fact.
"Of every one hundred men they send me, ten shouldn't even be here. Eighty of them are nothing but targets, nine of them are real fighters - we are lucky to have them, they make the battle. Ahhhh but the one. One of them is a warrior and he will bring the others home."

Heraclitis, 500 BC.

Last edited by trooper; 08-23-2011 at 06:06 PM.
trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:25 PM   #7

Hello Chuck and thanks for the excellent report and the photo presentation. I have been mulling one these over for a few weeks now and I look forward to your range report.

Also thanks to trooper for is additional comments.
tekarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
Regulator

Chuck,

Great report and photo's. I'll be interested to see the results from a range session. It appears to be excellent dollar value and well made.

Good luck in your adventure.

Wes
weshowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:11 AM   #9
cxm

Here is the TGI AS web site:

http://www.trabzonsilah.com/eng/index.php

I believe they make the gun in 9x19 and .40 S&W as well, though they may not be imported into the US.

V/r

CHuck

Old 08-24-2011, 10:00 AM   #10

Having perused their catalog at the site cxm provided, it looks a lot like 'knock-off city' to me. There are reasonable facsimiles of lots of familiar designs not that there is necessarily anything wrong with that. I guess I've just had too many disappointments and wasted too much money in second line products. About the only ones I've experimented with that I haven't subsequently gotten rid of are the Thunder 9 Bersa and the Rock Island Armory 1911's. They even have their own Walther P88 copy. I wonder if it's as good as the Bersa.
romeofoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
1911 made in turkey

cdnn handguns

turkey 1911
turkey 1911a1

turkish 1911

turkish 1911 for sale

turkish 1911 pistol
turkish 1911 pistols
turkish handguns
turkish handguns for sale