Forum Home    ::    Active Topics    ::    Hi-Powers and Handguns    ::    Stephen Camp's Blog    ::    Contact Us
Go Back   Handguns and Ammunition Forums > Handguns > The Venerable 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2005, 03:23 PM   #1

New Springfield Champion!!!

Hi there all,

Well, I have been reading all of the enticing threads from our members showing their Springfield Mil Specs, GI's, TRP's and every other type of .45/1911 available.

I was in a good position today to aquire a "commander" size 1911 and had suffered through a dry spell in the absence of a 1991 Colt Commander that I traded off years ago when I had a point of momentary insanity. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford another Colt and maybe the pistol I bought shouldn't really be categorized in the same category.

However, I picked a brand new in the box "no frills" Springfield Armory Champion today! It kind of reminds of a hybrid between the officer's ACP with its bull barrel and the Commander Model. Not a bad hybrid, but I will find out next week when I go to the range.

The controls are "plain" GI with the standard grip safety and thumb safety. I have no complaints with the standard grip safety and it fits my hand well. The spur hammer again is the "plain Jane" spur style. I have owned guns with "racier" hammers, but again it affords me better leverage for lowering the hammer.

The sights are the standard GI sights, and while I would preferred their "Hi Viz" sights, we will see how these work out for me.

I am quite happy with this new aquisition and we will see how it shoots at the range next week.

Chris
Old 12-14-2005, 04:30 PM   #2

What's the barrel length? If it's truly Commander length, what improvement in accuracy / reliability / longevity is gained by changing to the Officer's type barrel and recoil system?
lelandray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:29 PM   #3

Hi Leland,

The barrel length is 4" compared with the Officer's ACP 3.25? Its been a long time since I owned a officer's ACP. The bushingless barrel system isn't really all of that new as a lot of custom 1911 makers have been offering them over the years, i.e. Wilson Combat.

As far as the advantages of the bushingless barrel, I will leave that up to people more "expert" than I, but I suspect that the heavier barrel mass aids in recoil management in shot to shot controllability.

When I owned the 1991 Colt Officer's ACP, it was one of the most accurate pistols that I owned.

Chris
Old 12-14-2005, 07:48 PM   #4

The classic Commander barrel is a 4.25" tube, while the Officer's is 3.25 if memory serves. I could break into the safe and measure one, but that takes energy and stuff.

I'll be interested in hearing how this one works out. The bushingless barrel quite possibly returns to battery more accurately than a barrel with a bushing, though I have no evidence of this. It just seems that with one less moving part might make lockup more consistent.
lelandray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:21 AM   #5

Hi there all,

I went to the range today with my new Champion and ran two boxes of CCI/Lawman 230 grain FMJ though it.

Here are my initial shooting impressions:

1. Shoots to point of aim with some 1" clusters at 15 yards offhand.

2. The recoil is about the same for most of the 1911's I had owned previously and shot extensively. There percieved "push" is straight back with very little muzzle whip.

3. Functioning was a 99% with one last round flipping from the magazine feed lips and laying on the top of the follower. I never had that happen before.

4. The slide to frame fit is extremely close with no discernable up and down and side to side movement both before and after shooting.

5. Ejection was positive and rounds were thrown sharply clear of the ejection port. Most of the brass case mouths were detented, but not as badly as some other automatic pistols that I have owned.

Since I haven't shot a .45/1911A1 for about 8 months, I was pleased with the pistols performance for its first firing session.

This weekend, I am going to pick up some other practice fodder to see how well the Champion shoots with other ammunition.

Chris

Search tags for this page

1911 springfield champion best ammo

ammunition for colt officer's acp
best ammo for springfield champion
best gun case for springfield champion
bull barrel vs standard barrel

colt officer's acp spur hammer

fitting new barrel in springfield champion
forum springfield champion vs glock 30
is springfeild amory 1911 champions is available
new springfield champion 1911
photo of recoil system for springfield champion
replacement barrel for springfield champion
springfield chamiop with standard bushing
springfield champion alloy frame bushingless 4 gun.
springfield champion bull barrel amo