Forum Home    ::    Active Topics    ::    Hi-Powers and Handguns    ::    Stephen Camp's Blog    ::    Contact Us
Go Back   Handguns and Ammunition Forums > Handguns > The Venerable 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2006, 11:54 AM   #1
Administrator

STI Legacy

Hello. Yesterday, a good friend and myself made the 3 1/2 hour pilgrimage to Georgetown, TX, home of STI. We looked at a couple of their new Legacy .45 ACP pistols. We each brought ammunition of different types to shoot in them before buying. (Due to insurance company edicts, we were not allowed to shoot but did watch as Chris cranked off rounds through each of the guns.) 4 full magazines of different rounds were fired through "my" Legacy.

They were:

230-gr. Hornady JFP handload

200-gr. Precision CSWC handload

230-gr. Speer Gold Dot handload

Winchester 230-gr. Ranger

Magazines were a 7-shot Colt, an 8-shot McCormick Power Mag, an 8-shot Wilson w/Tripp's CobraMag follower/spring, which makes it a 7-shot, and an ACT 8-shot, also using the Tripp CobraMag internals.

The gun came with an 8-shot ACT magazine and it was loaded with

Winchester 230-gr. JHP.

When chambering a round, the first Gold Dot didn't want to smoothly chamber, but everything else shot fine. (These are some old bullets and the profile might have changed in more recent times.)

From what I could tell by watching Chris shoot, the sights were pretty well regulated out of the box and certainly within the adjustable rear sight's adjustment range.

These guns have a 1-piece feed ramp and they fed fine.

The ambidextrous safeties were nicely fitted and in my opinion, perfect in moving from "on" to "off" and visa-versa.

The trigger breaks very cleanly at what I'd estimate as 4 to 4.5-lbs or so.

I have been so busy and it's been so hot that I have not gone to the range today to shoot this pistol myself. I can tell you that the full length guide rod will be replaced ASAP. I much prefer the traditional GI spring plug and spring guide. I will be changing the grips as well, but may very well leave the rest of the gun as is.

The one-piece feed ramp is nicely polished and despite my initial misgivings about it, worked fine. Many gunsmiths say that the traditional two-piece feedway is more reliable than the one-piece. I am not a gunsmith, but have many 1911's using the two-piece system that are reliable. So far, this one has as well. (I was told that STI will be going to the one-piece system in their Trojan line as well.)

The finish is black and STI calls it "PVD ion bond". It is reportedly very resistant to corrosion and wear. The slide flats are described as being polished, but this is not a high gloss polish as with some blued guns. The forged frame has 30 LPI checkering and is nicely done.

It was impressive enough that I bought the thing. I will shoot it and do a complete report in the future, assuming that things slow down a bit and it gets even a little cooler. 108 degrees is just a bit much right now. (Twenty-five years ago, I'd have already been on the range, but right now I'm sitting in the air-conditioned house, hiding from the heat.)

Best.
Stephen A. Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:14 PM   #2

STI Legacy

Nice writeup! It will be interesting to see how it does at the range.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:18 PM   #3
Administrator

STI Legacy

Hello, Capt. That will tell the tale to be sure. I'm chomping at the bits to go (late evening or early morning) but am scheduled up with other things tighter than you know what for a few days. It's also hotter than seven yards of hell here.

Best.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:47 PM   #4

STI Legacy

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for the report!

The STI appears to be one well built 1911 and I am curious as to why they chose the fully supported ramped barrel for their design? Production milling on all their frames?

Regardless, I can't wait to hear how it shoots, but like you, would rather stay away from "seven yards of hell" heat.

Chris
Old 07-19-2006, 10:03 PM   #5
Administrator

STI Legacy

Hello. They're going to the one-piece ramps to simplify manufacture from what I was told.

Best.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:36 PM   #6
Administrator

STI Legacy

Mr. Camp,

Just send it here. It's only in the mid-90s. I'll shoot it and let you know

Seriously, good report, thank you sir. All these different brands leave one feeling confused however. I'm itching to get my hands on a Taurus PT1911 but seems they're on backorder last I heard.

I'm still attempting to save for one; I just need a good starter and seein's out nobody has the Taurus yet... or hasn't reported on it, except for the gun mags...

Josh <><

Josh Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 05:46 AM   #7

STI Legacy

SAC, nice pistol! I think to myself, maybe I should sell a bunch of stuff and buy one first class 1911 but then I put that thought out of my head. Enjoy your new toy. Regards, Richard
Old 07-20-2006, 03:29 PM   #8

STI Legacy

I built a P/P/J/G 1911 and used an old take out Storm Lake .45 ACP barrel in it because it was an aluminum lower end and I didn't want to chew up the feed ramp with some bad JHP bullets. That was not the real reason though. I had it. That was the real reason! I carried it for about two months before I test fired it and grew to like it a lot. It replaced the LW Commander now on most days. I did give it a test run out at my ranch east of Walsenburg CO, during my June Drive-a-bout and it runs 100 % with everything I fed it. I knew it would run fine, because I built it. I almost never test fired any of the guns I have built because if you do it right, they have to run. They do not have any say so in the matter. I like some of these spare parts guns more than the high end ones I have built in the past.

A ramped barrel would be much easier for STI to install with fewer skills needed to make it reliable. All the have to do it cut the hood and the lower lugs and get it to cycle and it's good to go. Looks like they did a nice polish on the ramp and throat which become one on these barrels and that makes them feed great. Some of these barrels are made with the wrong angle on the ramp, but I don't know which ones they are. I probably would not tell anyone if I did know, but in this case, I can say I don't know and mean it. I have not used a lot of ramped barrels and only have two here that are built that way.

I think they are a great idea and do not agree with those who say they aren't OK for lower pressure cartridges. They feed good and that is why I like them. They also give the web of the case more support and that can be a real plus if you like to load hot rounds for your guns.

All in all, well done Sarge!
Old 07-22-2006, 05:06 PM   #9

STI Legacy

Quote:
108 degrees is just a bit much right now. (Twenty-five years ago, I'd have already been on the range, but right now I'm sitting in the air-conditioned house, hiding from the heat.)

Best.

See, we do get smarter with age! :)
anguspodgorney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:03 PM   #10
Administrator

STI Legacy

Hello. Since we had a "cold front" the last couple of days (less than 100 degrees), I couldn't stand it any longer and slipped out to the range to fire my new STI Legacy. I witnessed Chris @ STI shoot it, but I hadn't shot it.

I didn't have much time and will chronograph it later and shoot at different distances. At this time of the evening, the shade was not present beyond about 15 yards so that's where I shot.

Ammunition Used:

Federal 230-gr. Classic JHP: 16 rounds

Winchester 230-gr. Ranger: 50 rounds

UMC 230-gr. FMJ: 50 rounds

Remington 230-gr. Golden Saber/6.3-gr. Unique: 24 rounds

200-gr. Precision CSWC/5.0-gr. Bullseye: 50 rounds

Federal 185-gr. Classic JHP: 24 rounds

I think that totals 214 shots. At STI, Chris had fired a bit under 50 shots so let's approximate and say that the gun's had about 250 shots through it.

I also used the following magazines:

ACT 8-shot, which came with the gun

ACT 8-shot w/Tripp follower & spring*

Wilson 8-shot w/Tripp follower & spring*

McCormick PowerMag 8-shot

Colt 7-shot magazine

(*When using the Tripp follower, 8-shot magazines other than his become 7-shot mags. When used in a standard 7-shot magazine, no capacity is lost.)

This particular pistol showed no preference for one magazine over another and all dropped free when the magazine release was depressed.

Cutting to the chase:

No failures to feed

No failures to extract/eject

No dented cases

Magazines easy to insert when fully loaded

No premature slide lock and no failures of the slide to lock back when the last round was fired with any of the magazines used.

I was most surprised that I didn't find it necessary to move the adjustable rear sight any at all! It was dead-bang "on" but I'll check it on a couple of more sessions just like I do with fixed sights before declaring them "on" or making any adjustments.

This group was fired with the 200-gr. Precision CSWC over 5.0-gr. Bullseye.

Federal's 185-gr. JHP fed fine and grouped nicely.

Winchester's 230-gr. Ranger once again proved itself an accurate defense round. It fed just fine.

Shooting from an improvised rest, I was able to get satisfactory groups at 15 yards, but have no doubt whatsoever that the pistol is capable of much better than I was able to deliver.

This was not a torture test nor really much of a test at all, just some quick shots from a new gun...but I absolutely believe that this pistol is capable of very fine accuracy and I am becoming convinced that the same can be said for reliability with a number of bullet profiles.

Time will tell, but results are positive and encouraging.

When I get some projects that are stacking up done, I will visit the STI Legacy in a more detailed fashion.

Best.

Search tags for this page
different types 45 acp ammo
different types of handguns
guns sti legacy
kinds of sti 1911 .45
reviews of sti legacy 1911 pistol
sti 1911 legacy review
sti 3 dotted sights for 1911
sti 9mm
sti lawman legacy difference