Springfield Range Officer in 9mm. - Handguns and Ammunition Forums
Forum Home    ::    Active Topics    ::    Hi-Powers and Handguns    ::    Stephen Camp's Blog    ::    Contact Us
Go Back   Handguns and Ammunition Forums > Handguns > The Venerable 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2016, 04:23 PM   #1

Springfield Range Officer in 9mm.

This last weekend at a local gun show, I picked up an SA Range Officer in 9mm, new, for what was a very good price. (shocking at a gun show these days) Three hundred rounds of factory and hand loads so far without issue. It's very accurate and almost like shooting a .22. After spending decades shooting 1911's in .45acp the lack of recoil was honestly a bit disconcerting. I think it's going to make an excellent training weapon and really help me to economize my shooting. More to follow.
"Of every one hundred men they send me, ten shouldn't even be here. Eighty of them are nothing but targets, nine of them are real fighters - we are lucky to have them, they make the battle. Ahhhh but the one. One of them is a warrior and he will bring the others home."

Heraclitis, 500 BC.
trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:45 PM   #2

The 1911 in 9 mm makes a great range gun.
I have a couple that I shoot regularly.
A load of 4 grs. Titegroup and 124 gr Precision Delta JHP's will shoot 1.25" groups @ 25 yds. (benched) from both pistols- with my tired eyes.
They are also my "go to" for introducing new shooters to the 1911 platform, for the reasons you mentioned; lack of recoil, economy, etc.
huntershooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:27 PM   #3

Lots of owners happy with their RO in either caliber. Some so much so they buy the other.
chuntaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2016, 07:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuntaro View Post
Lots of owners happy with their RO in either caliber. Some so much so they buy the other.
That would be me!
"Of every one hundred men they send me, ten shouldn't even be here. Eighty of them are nothing but targets, nine of them are real fighters - we are lucky to have them, they make the battle. Ahhhh but the one. One of them is a warrior and he will bring the others home."

Heraclitis, 500 BC.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntershooter View Post
The 1911 in 9 mm makes a great range gun.
I have a couple that I shoot regularly.
A load of 4 grs. Titegroup and 124 gr Precision Delta JHP's will shoot 1.25" groups @ 25 yds. (benched) from both pistols- with my tired eyes.
They are also my "go to" for introducing new shooters to the 1911 platform, for the reasons you mentioned; lack of recoil, economy, etc.
I've been using Titegroup in my 9mm hand loads for about a year now. It's accurate, but I'm getting really tired of the excessive smoke. I went to it when it was all I could find of the shelf, but I think it's time to go back to Bullseye. I'm going to try BE-86 and Power Pistol next.

Heraclitis, 500 BC.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:34 AM   #6
Les

Trooper, another one you might want to give a try is VV N320. I use the same Precision Delta 124 JHP as huntershooter. 4.02 gr (not 4.2) pushes the bullet in my CZs somewhere around 1040 FPS maybe 1050 (don't have my log book in front of me). OAL is 1.100. Its pretty clean burning powder and not a lot of smoke. For very mild recoil, 3.8 grains will get you around 980 fps.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:49 PM   #7

I agree that a 1911 in 9mm is a wonderful range gun for many reasons, including the lack of strong recoil(if used to using hardball in 45ACP). I can shoot a longer range session with no discomfort of my wrist or hand, which make it more fun, and better scores on the target.

I have no experience with Titegroup powder in 9mm, but have loaded a lot of 9mm with BE, Unique, and Power Pistol. I load with 115gr FMJ, usually Remington or Winchester.
gt40doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:50 PM   #8

Congrats on the new pistol Trooper. I also was using Titegroup for my 9mm loads. A while back I switched to AA#5. I use 5.2 gr under a 125gr lead bullet. Very accurate with light recoil in my Hi Power
eo1bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:38 PM   #9

I have difficulty finding the AA and VV powders in my area. So far, the best load is 4.2 grains of Bullseye pushing a 124 grain bullet. I'm not going to shoot the 9mm RO for accuracy again until I replace the front sight. After today's session with the 9mm I put a few rounds through the .45 RO, which has a green fiber optic front sight. To my 50 year old eyes the difference was HUGE. Today, I also replaced the mainspring housing and it's internals, which eliminated the Internal Locking System SA puts are their pistols now. Replacing the unit and it's internal components is necessary because the spring, plunger, etc. are all different. The added ILS parts cause increased friction within the mainspring housing and increases the trigger weight. This eliminated the creep on the front of the trigger pull and took the pull down to just under four pounds, which is identical to the .45's trigger. 450 rounds through the 9mm RO without a malfunction yet.

Heraclitis, 500 BC.

Last edited by trooper; 04-28-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:39 PM   #10

Springfield Range Officer in 9mm.
Congratulations trooper on the 9mm. It should do you well at the range.
Scott
Scott Stielow is offline   Reply With Quote